Breaking News: Jussie Smollett indicted in Chicago on felony charges for the allegations of the alleged attack on him last year.
Yes, the case that was a factor in the the firing of Smollett from the hit show Empire is now re-opened.
Jussie Smollett Case Re-opened
Just announced by the special prosecutor, actor Jussie Smollett is facing felony charges after all in the debacle last year. You will recall Smollett made claims back in March of 2019 that he was attacked by Pro-Trump individuals in a weird, racist late night incident.
After Cook County prosecutors charged him with 16 counts, they were later dropped in a sea of controversy.
The indictment, handed by a grand jury in the case, is accusing the actor of lying to law enforcement, and calls for 6 charges.
Claiming double jeopardy, Jussie and his lawyers tried to get the case thrown out. But, that didn’t work.
Originally, two associates of Smollett were implicated, but were later cleared of any wrongdoing.
According to TMZ, a source connected to Jussie told them –
“The officers who reinvestigated the case are the same one who originally investigated it. These officers are currently being sued by Smollett. They have also spent taxpayer money on having these officers go to Los Angeles and harass members of Smollett’s team and friends.”
After all is said and done, Smollett has always maintained that he is innocent and that the incident he claimed is in fact the truth. He is expected to plead not guilty.
Friday will be a hearig in the case, in which Jussie may be arrained on the new charges. If he is ultimately convicted, he will face 3 years in a state prison.
Let’s see how this plays out.
For more Entertainment News check us out at drenchedinblack.com. It’s your brand new destination for hot black celebrity news.